Posts Tagged ‘Bellator’
Eye (Twitter: @JessicaEvilEye) recently signed with the UFC, after being released from Bellator due to the promotion’s decision to cut WMMA, and is scheduled to debut against Sarah Kaufman at UFC 166 on Oct. 19 at the Toyota Center in Houston.
Holland (Twitter: @munah_holland) was released from Bellator, for the same reason as Eye, and has already found a new home in Invicta FC. no inaugural bout scheduled. The touted striker enters the promotion with a 5-2 career record and has three KO/TKOs to her credit. Holland is coming off a loss against Michelle Ould at Bellator 74 in September 2012, and she said she is anxious to get in the Invicta FC cage and put her skills on display for her new employer
Gamburyan (Twitter: @MannyGamburyan) is coming off a victory against Cole Miller at UFC Fight Night 26 on Saturday. Gamburyan took a questionable elbow in the fight that was deemed illegal, but Miller is not declaring that he will appeal the decision loss. Gamburyan gave his thoughts on the fight, the controversy, Ronda Rousey, The Ultimate Fighter 18 and Armenian barbeque.
“I don’t think we’re going to make an offer at this point. So, I don’t see any reason to make anybody sit out. If Ben’s going to the UFC, we should speed up that process so he can fight. I’d love to see Ben vs. Georges St-Pierre.”
- Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney talked to ESPN about recent free agent and Bellator welterweight champion, Ben Askren, and the possibility of not offering him a contract.
“We’ll talk to Ben. Yeah, we’ll talk to him.”
- UFC president Dana White admitted at the UFN 26 pre-fight media scrum that he already intended on talking to Askren.
“I talked to Diaz today, and I made him an offer, so we’ll see what happens. He had been talking about going to 185 pounds. Machida has been talking about going to 185 pounds. So we wanted to see if he wanted to fight Machida at 185.”
- White stated, at a UFC 26 pre-fight Q and A, that he offered Nick Diaz a bout against Lyoto Machida at middleweight.
“Diaz didn’t turn it down. There’s other things going on with Diaz. There’s other things going on with Diaz. That was a bad idea, the Diaz-Machida thing was. I’ll throw Joe Silva under the bus again. That was Joe Silva’s idea. It was a bad idea.”
- White, at a UFN post-fight unofficial press scrum, admitted Diaz vs. Machida wasn’t the greatest idea the promotion ever came up with.
“Dana (White) said it was one of the most lopsided beatings ever. I would have to agree. It was pretty bad. That was me at my worst, but I think you have to give credit to Michael and I was so bad because he was at his best. I watched the fight three or four times and he just did a really, really good job.”
- Joe Lauzon talked to Yahoo! Sports about his out-of-character performance at UFN 26.
“If I could take Brad Pickett’s brain and heart and put it inside Uriah Hall’s body, holy s— there would be some damage done. Because Uriah Hall has all the physical attributes to be amazing. He’s got speed, he’s got power, he’s unbelievable. He doesn’t have what it mentally takes to fight here.”
- White spoke at the UFN 26 post-fight media scrum about “TUF 17” finalist, and 0-2 UFC fighter, Uriah Hall.
“There’s still great, true fighters coming out of this, but these guys aren’t quite as tough as they used to be. There’s way better athletes, they’re much better prepared, but some of these guys, they don’t have that grit.”
- MMA veteran Josh Barnett compared old school fighters, like himself, to today’s competitors on the UFC 164 pre-fight media conference.
“It’s not like I just won the fight off just one kick, I put the work in the other rounds to be in that position. So it’s one of those things. I’m not going to live off of it. It happened. Move past it. Three years later, I’ve got to fight him again.”
- Anthony Pettis spoke on the UFC 164 pre-fight media conference call about “the kick” that landed in his first meeting against UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, who he faces at UFC 164 in a rematch.
“I know where my wrestling stands. It’s simply a matter of executing those abilities in the ring with ‘GSP.’ I can outwrestle him. I’m calling it right now.
“It sounds f—ing ridiculous, and everybody is going to laugh at me, and I know the forums, everybody’s going to talk about how I’m delusional and this and that. … I know where I’m at.”
- UFC welterweight Matt Brown stated on MMAJunkie.com that his wrestling trumps that of the division’s champ, Georges St-Pierre.
“I absolutely think [I hold the striking advantage]. I think Alvarez threw every single thing he had at me (in the first fight), so I think he’s got that in the back of his mind. He’s going to need to bring a baseball bat into that cage to get me on the ground. That’s the confidence that I have.”
- Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler told MMAJunkie.com that he’s ready to play ball in the rematch with Eddie Alvarez.
“They say [Vitor] can’t fight here because of the TRT thing and that is complete bullshit. Vitor Belfort can fight here, he can fight in Vegas, he can fight in any of these places. Whether they give him TRT or they don’t. It’s not a given that he has to give up the treatment in Vegas. The guy has been busted before. He’s had some issues and he’s going to have to go before the athletic commission and they would decide what they are going to do.”
- White, at the UFN 26 post-fight media scrum, put rumors to rest that Vitor Belfort can only compete in Brazil.
“I’ve never really sat and pondered about what I could’ve done differently or how things could’ve been, but I wasn’t the same guy. Now I feel great; there’s days I think I can get back into the Octagon and be the same human being I was before. But I’m on another chapter.”
- Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was interviewed by the LATimes.com and talked about a UFC return.
“I love Uriah Hall, I have a great relationship with this kid. He’s one of the nicest human beings you can ever meet. He’s not a fighter, man.
“I don’t care what Hollywood offers, they ain’t paying what we’re paying. These guys, when they go out and make a movie, they’re not paying what we are.”
- White told MMAFighting.com that he does not believe Ronda Rousey, who has already signed on for two major-motion pictures, will not vacate MMA for acting.
“How’s your competitive spirit feeling? My video blog does more f—ing viewers than their television show does. I’m not feeling very competitive.”
- At the UFN 26 pre-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White provided the reason he is not going to counter-program Bellator’s inaugural pay-per-view event.
On this episode of MMA DieHards Radio, hosts Jason Kelly (Twitter: @JayMMADieHards) and Joe Rizzo (Twitter: @rearnakedchoke) welcome Bellator welterweight Ben Saunders (Twitter: @bensaundersmma) and rising female combatant Marina Shafir (Twitter: @MarinaShafir).
Saunders meets Douglas Lima at Bellator 100 on Sept. 20 at Grand Canyon University Arena in Phoenix, Ariz. The bout caps of the Bellator Season 8 welterweight tournament, which was originally scheduled for Bellator 93, but Lima withdrew due to a broken hand.
Shafir is an undefeated amateur mixed martial artist and an extremely accomplished Judoka. Shafir gets a lot of attention from being roommates with UFC female bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, but don’t get that misconstrued as she isn’t her own person. Shafir holds no punches when breaking down MMA, and she is determined for greatness in the sport.