April 24, 2012 11:26:19 AM
Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen title fight moved from UFC 147 to UFC 148
A title fight and rematch between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) and challenger Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) apparently has been moved from UFC 147 in Brazil to UFC 148 in Las Vegas.
A press conference today in Rio de Janeiro announcing the change has been delayed an hour due to technical issues.
However, signage at the media event now shows a UFC 148 poster adorned with Silva and Sonnen's likeness and names.
UFC 148 takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. A bantamweight title fight between champion Dominick Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and longtime rival Urijah Faber (26-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC), who currently serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter: Live," will be demoted from the pay-per-view event's headliner to the the co-headliner under Silva vs. Sonnen.
UFC officials initially announced UFC 147 and Silva vs. Sonnen II for June 23 at Joao Havelange Stadium (also known as Engenhao Stadium) in Rio. However, in recent weeks, White said the company was considering a different date due to the United Nations' "Rio +20" meeting, which is scheduled for June 20-22 in Rio de Janeiro. That meeting prompted political pressure from local officials and a lack of hotel rooms for such a large UFC stadium show. That prompted speculation of Silva vs. Sonnen moving off the card altogether.
UFC officials are expected to reveal the remaining plans for UFC 147, which also features "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" coaches Wanderlei Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC) vs. Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC), at today's presser, which begins at 11 a.m. ET (8 a.m. PT).
Sonnen dominated reigning champ Anderson Silva for four rounds before succumbing to a last-round triangle choke at UFC 117 in 2010. Sonnen set up a rematch with a January win over Michael Bisping, and Silva since has defeated the likes of Vitor Belfort and Yushin Okami. The rematch is likely to be one of the biggest fights in MMA history.Source: mmajunkie.com
April 24, 2012 11:21:30 AM
Roy Nelson vs. Gabriel Gonzaga Announced for UFC 146
Announced Monday, Gabriel Gonzaga has been removed from his UFC 146 match-up against Shane del Rosario, and is now slated to face TUF 10 winner Roy Nelson at the May 26 event. UFC President Dana White confirmed the switch via Twitter.
Del Rosario will remain on the card and will face Stipe Miocic.
Nelson (16-7) was originally booked to fight Strikeforce veteran Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, however that match-up fell apart after Silva was tapped as Frank Mir's replacement opposite Cain Velasquez. Mir, of course, replaced Alistair Overeem in UFC 146's main event after Overeem failed a random drug test earlier this month.
"Big Country" now hopes to rebound after dropping three of his past four fights, including a bloody decision loss to Fabricio Werdum at UFC 143.
Gonzaga (13-6), meanwhile, looks to continue his recent career resurgence since returning from retirement and choking out Ednaldo Oliveira in the first round at UFC 142.Source: www.mmafighting.com
April 23, 2012 11:50:12 AM
Alistair Overeem Explains Why He Failed Pre-UFC 146 Drug Test
Alistair Overeem has broken his silence for the first time since the Nevada State Athletic Commission announced earlier this month that he failed a pre-UFC 146 drug test.
Overeem, who was scheduled to meet Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title next month until the promotion replaced him with Frank Mir, issued a written statement explaining why his testosterone to epitestosterone ratio came back at an above-limit 14:1. The NSAC's T/E ratio limit is 6:1.
In the statement, Overeem announced that he withdrew from UFC 146 and explained why his T/E ratio was so high. According to Overeem's camp, he did so on Friday and that's when the UFC decided to replace him with Mir. His manager Glenn Robinson told MMAFighting.com that Overeem didn’t "formally withdraw his license application, he withdrew from the fight and asked for a continuance to hear the case so he can prove he is a clean fighter."
You can read the full statement below.
To my friends and fans,
I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved.
I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.
I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.
Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.
I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep
the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead.
Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.Source: www.mmafighting.com
April 23, 2012 11:45:10 AM
After Bellator 66 scuffle, Andreas Spang fined 20 percent of purse but not suspended
Andreas Spang will still fight in Bellator's season-six middleweight-tournament finale, but he'll do so with fewer bucks in his pocket.
Ohio Athletic Commission Executive Director Bernie Profato today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Spang has been fined 20 percent of his $30,000 fight purse ($6,000) for instigating a post-fight scuffle at Bellator 66 with Maiquel Falcão.
Spang also shoved opponent Brian Rogers at Bellator 66's weigh-ins.
Bellator 66 took place at Cleveland's I-X Center, and the night's main card aired on MTV2. Spang (8-1 MMA, 1-0 BFC), a late replacement for injured Bruno Santos, survived a two-round beating before scoring a shocking comeback-knockout of Rogers in the night's co-headliner and a tournament-semifinal fight.
However, after the fight, Bellator officials brought in his Bellator 70 opponent for the tournament finale: Maiquel Falcao, who defeated Vyacheslav Vasilevsky via unanimous decision earlier in the night. But like he did to Rogers, Spang immediately shoved Falcao (30-4 MMA, 2-0 BFC) once the fighters went forehead to forehead.
That prompted a brief scuffle, though Bellator commentator Jimmy Smith and matchmaker Sam Caplan helped quickly separate them.Source: mmajunkie.com
April 21, 2012 7:44:48 PM
UFC 145 results
Event results from UFC 145, which took place Saturday at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Ga.Ch
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Champ Jon Jones def. Rashad Evans via. unanimous decision (49-46x2, 50-45)
Rory MacDonald def. Che Mills via TKO (grounded strikes)
Ben Rothwell def. Brendan Schaub via TKO in rd 1 (punches)
Michael McDonald def. Miguel Torres via TKO rd 1
Eddie Yagin def. Mark Hominick via split decision (29-28x2, 28-29)
Mark Bocek def. John Alessio via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
Travis Browne def. Chad Griggs via submission in Rd 1 (arm triangle hold)
Matt Brown def. Stephen Thompson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-27, 30-27)
Anthony Njokuani def. John Makdessi via unanimous decision (30-27x3)
Mac Danzig def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
Chris Clements def. Keith Wisniewski via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
Marcus Brimage def. Maximo Blanco via split decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29)Source: mmadiehards.com