May 7, 2013 7:14:47 PM
Chris Barnett out of MFC 37 title fight with eye injury
Chris Barnett (7-1) was scheduled to meet Smealinho Rama (6-0) in a heavyweight title bout Friday at "MFC 37: True Grit," however, due to an unfortunate eye injury, the MFC newcomer was forced to withdraw.
Barnett's eye was examined by doctors and they concluded the heavyweight has three holes in his retina. Dr. Shelby Karpman, Edmonton Combative Sports Commission’s head physician, also determined Barnett would be taking a serious risk by taking part in the bout, to the point that he could be blinded permanently if struck in the eye.
Barnett, who trains primarily at Hardcore Gym, told MMADiehards.com last week he had been preparing with the Blackzilians for his upcoming bout and was looking forward to showing off a new, improved version of himself. Barnett said he was anxious to get back to competing after a year-long layoff, which is now spoiled.
Nonetheless, Barnett is signed to a three-fight contract with the MFC and will debut in the ring as soon as he is healthy.
Rama, as it is of no fault of his own, will be paid his show purse for the match, but will be removed from the card, as well.
March 6, 2013 4:14:51 PM
Chase Degenhardt vs. Sam Alvey official for MFC 37
The Maximum Fighting Championship is excited to announce the addition of a middleweight
bout to the lineup for "MFC 37: True Grit" taking place on Friday, May 10 in Edmonton, Alberta.
Hometown striker Chase “Deggy” Degenhardt (8-3) will face the toughest test of his career as
he takes on former MFC title challenger “Smilen” Sam Alvey (19-5, 1 NC) on the main card airing
live on AXS TV Fights from the Shaw Conference Centre beginning at 10 p.m. ET/8 p.m. MT/7
Degenhardt boasts six knockouts on his career resume, and is coming
off a second-round stoppage of Chad Sherman on the undercard of MFC 35. The Edmonton,
Alberta, product, who will ride a two-fight winning streak into the matchup, has notched
notable victories over Dan Chambers and Chuck Pelc.
Meanwhile, Alvey will be looking to rebound following his narrow decision defeat to Elvis
Mutapcic in their MFC world middleweight title bout at MFC 36. The 26-year-old, who trains in
Temecula, California, came up just short in a hard-fought encounter against the reigning champ
as the two went punch-for-punch in an action-packed stand-up battle.
Alvey has notched 11 wins by way of knockout and added a pair of
victories by submission. His career is highlighted by a pair of four-fight winning streaks, and an
impressive seven-fight run that included wins over Karl Amoussou and Jason Guida.
Alvey recently married “America’s Next Top Model” winner McKey Sullivan and the couple are
expecting their first child.
October 26, 2012 10:09:16 PM
'MFC 35: Explosive Encounter' results
Event results for "MFC 35: Explosive Encounter," which takes place tonight at the Mayfield Trade Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.
- MFC World Middleweight Title: Elvis Mutapcic def. Joseph Henle via TKO (leg kick), Rd 3, 1:35
- Graham Spencer def. Shane Nelson via decision (30-27x3)
- Smealinho Rama def. Ryan Fortin via submission (rear-naked choke), Rd1, 2:02
- Derek Parker def. Jared McComb via decision (29-28x3)
- Sabah Fadai def. Cody Krahn by submission (triangle choke), Rd 1, 1:24
- Daniel Swain def. Matt Jelly by decision (29-28 x3)
- Paul Grandbois def. Jason Kuchera by TKO (punches), Rd2, 1:43
- Garret Nybakken def. Jesse Veltri by submission (armbar), Rd1, 1:24
- Chase Degenhardt def. Chad Sherman by TKO (punches) Rd2, 0:41
August 22, 2012 1:05:40 PM
Shane Nelson meets Graham Spencer at "MFC 35: Explosive Encounter"
The Maximum Fighting Championship has officially set the matchup that will launch its new featherweight division.
“Sugar” Shane Nelson will take on top Canadian prospect Graham Spencer at MFC 35: Explosive Encounter – a bout that will be featured on the AXS TV main card emanating live from the Mayfield Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, on Friday, Oct. 25. The Spencer-Nelson fight joins a card topped by a co-main event pitting Elvis “The King” Mutapcic against Joseph “Leonidas” Henle for the MFC world middleweight title.
Nelson (15-6) has signed a multi-fight deal with the MFC, and is ecstatic about making his debut in the 145-pound division after a successful run at lightweight that included a stint on “The Ultimate Fighter – Season 8: Nogueira vs. Mir.”
“I intend on making a statement. I’m not taking Graham lightly but I’m not coming to lose,” said Nelson.
“I’ve been wanting to come to the MFC for a while and now I’m very glad to get pen to paper and get the deal done.”
Nelson has won three of his last four outings and boasts a career-best eight-fight winning streak highlighted by his biggest wins to date. The 27-year-old southpaw scored a split-decision win over George Roop in late 2008 and followed that up with a 48-second TKO victory over Aaron Riley. Nelson also holds notable victories over Jai Bradney and Kolo Koka.
Nelson is already in training camp alongside the icon Penn and former MFC welterweight champ Pat Healy, and while a specific game plan for Spencer hasn’t been formatted yet, MFC fans can expect all-out action from Nelson.
“I’ve heard that Graham is a grinder but I’ll say right now that he’s going to need a better plan than that to beat me,” offered Nelson. “He’s not going to be able to lay on me and hold me down. It doesn’t matter if I’m on top, on the bottom, or standing, I’m going to hurt him and he’s going to understand that he’s in a fight.
“I’m coming to leave it all on the line, and I’m coming to try and take his head off. I’m going to put on an exciting fight.”
Spencer (8-1, 1 NC) will ride a three-fight winning streak into his organizational debut. The Nanaimo, B.C., product, has earned four victories via submission, including two finishes inside the opening round.
May 30, 2012 2:40:15 PM
Joseph “Leonidas” Henle vs. Luke Harris set for MFC 34: "Total Recall"
Joseph “Leonidas” Henle makes MFC debut against Luke Harris at MFC 34: "Total Recall" on Aug. 10 at the Mayfield Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.
Henle (6-0-1) is undefeated in his pro career, but did suffer a loss in an exhibition bout on The Ultimate Fighter 11. Henle defeated Constantinos Philippou via submission to gain entry into the house, but lost a unanimous decision to Seth Baczynski in the opening round. Henle has won three straight fights since leaving the reality show.
Harris (9-1) most recently defeated Edwin Dewees in a 195-pound catchweight bout at MFC 33. Harris is currently riding a three-fight win streak, submitting all three opponents in the opening frame. In total, Harris has nine first round submission victories to his credit.Source: www.maximumfighting.com